Please join the National Institute for Civil Discourse (NICD) online for a timely and engaging event examining the challenges and opportunities of polarization and civil discourse on the 10th anniversary of the University of Arizona establishing NICD.
Hosted by NICD Co-Chairs, The Honorable Tom Daschle and The Honorable Christie Todd Whitman, we will examine the challenges posed by polarization for each of the three branches of the federal government and what can be done about them. In September 2011, Chief Justice Roberts hosted NICD and fifty prominent leaders and thinkers at the Supreme Court for its first major event to discuss what NICD could do about rising partisan acrimony and incivility. Ten years later, we gather to celebrate our success and discuss challenges and opportunities ahead.
September 22, 2021
NICD’s 10th Anniversary: Challenges and Opportunities for Civil Discourse
In-person seats are at capacity. Please choose the ‘virtual’ option in the registration form.
Legislative Panel (1:50PM – 2:30PM EST)
- Moderator: The Honorable Jim Kolbe, Former Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- The Honorable Tom Daschle, Former Senate Majority Leader
- The Honorable Mickey Edwards, Former Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
Judicial Panel (2:45PM – 3:25PM EST)
- Moderator: Dr. Keith Allred
- The Honorable Thomas B. Griffith, The United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit (Retired)
- The Honorable Patricia Millett, The United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
Executive Panel (3:40PM – 4:20PM EST)
- Moderator: The Honorable Dan Glickman, Former Secretary of Agriculture and Former Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- The Honorable Christine Todd Whitman, Former EPA Administrator and Former Governor of New Jersey
- Tom Freedman, Former Senior Advisor to President William J. Clinton